3.11.2009

Live Simply, Simply Live

Dear Reader,

J. Hudson Taylor, a late 1800’s man, was one of the founding fathers of Protestant missions. He was a trained doctor who loved God and wanted to live in self-denying service. He lived simply, examining and sacrificing his accumulated possessions to “be quite sure that it contained nothing that [he] should be sorry to give an account of should the Master come at once” (taken from A Retrospect by Taylor). This humble lifestyle equipped him for his missionary service. Not only did he start China Inland Mission, which still exists as OMF International, but he implemented crucial mission strategies still used today. God accomplished great things through him!

This concept of sacrificial giving, practiced by Taylor, is not common in America today. We’re a society of accumulation – more equals better! We have so much that now we need to pay for extra storage facilities separate from our big homes. Additionally, in December 2008, Christianity Today reported that only 27% of evangelical Christians tithe (giving 10% of their possessions)! The other 73% give less. When did we get so stingy with God?

I had this image where Jesus and I were sitting on my couch. He had a clipboard and we were auditing all of my possessions. I was justifying my little baskets that were “just for decoration” and the piles of clothes and shoes in my closet. It was a funny image; I couldn’t give an account for such accumulation. I immediately wanted to purge everything in my closet, but I had to put on the brakes and check my motives.

In Hosea 6:6, God says to the rebellious Israelites, “For I desire [loyalty], not sacrifice, and knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.” The key to a lifestyle like Taylor’s is not just giving away our stuff to look good in front of God, but to be faithful and to know God. When we’re truly men and women after God’s own heart, doesn’t it make sense that we wouldn’t want to clutter our minds and lives with earthly treasures?

To whom much has been given, from them much is required.

Hudson Taylor said, “I believe we are all in danger of accumulating – it may be from thoughtlessness, or from pressure of occupation – things which would be useful to others, while not needed by ourselves, and the retention of which entails loss of blessing (italics mine).” I encourage you to follow Taylor’s example. Ask God to show you where you have accumulated, how you can pass His blessing on to those who need it. Live as though Jesus will appear today ready to account for your life on earth. Seek first the heart of God and then the rest will follow – just like it did for Hudson Taylor.

~Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment